Saturday, February 13, 2010

Homemade Granola

It's the new year and for many, myself included, it means a greater focus on eating and being healthy. Part of this focus is not so fun (why does going to the gym and working out have to be so hard?!). Other parts, like eating this homemade granola, is rather easy.



















I like making my own granola because I can control the type and quality of ingredients used. Plus, I can make it just the way I like - with all my favorite additions. This recipe is based on one I found at Artisan Bread in Five Minutes per Day. I definitely can agree when they state that this is, "The best granola I've ever had!"

Ingredients
1/3 c. honey
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/3 c. canola oil
2 Tbs. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. salt
4 c. rolled oats
2 Tbs. sesame seeds
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1 c. nuts (I used pecans, walnuts and almonds)
1/2 c. sweetened coconut
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. dried cranberries

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss together all dry ingredients except dried fruit.

In a small bowl, combine honey, maple syrup, canola oil, water and vanilla extract. Whisk to fully combine. Pour over dry ingredients and toss until thoroughly coated. Divide mixture between cookie sheets, spreading into a thin layer.

Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes. Stir around granola, and rotate pans. Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until deep golden brown. Watch carefully, it can burn!

Remove from oven and cool completely. Add raisins and dried cranberries. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hiya! This looks very yummy, but I'm wondering if there are any oats in it? The picture looks as if it has some in it, but there aren't any listed in your ingredients. If you did you use oats, how much and what kind did you use? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup i missed it, thanks for pointing it out! I added it in :)

    ReplyDelete