Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Double Chocolate Almond Cookies

On Monday, I had a snow day. Not a real snow day... No sledding, or snowmen or hot chocolate with mini marshmallows. Because of a little storm that dumped about eight inches of snow across the area, my employer allowed us to work from home. It's pretty easy, considering we all have MacBooks, Blackberrys and iChat, so we're very accessible even from home.

















Working from home gave me the opportunity to work in my PJs, and have Food Network playing in the background all day. Particularly, I enjoy watching Giada and Ina; their recipes always appeal to me because of their ease of preparation, everyday ingredients, and delicious flavors.


Imagine my delight when Ina showcased a great double chocolate almond cookie recipe, in which I had all ingredients right in my pantry. It shouldn't be too hard for you to guess what I did once my work was done for the day...

















Ingredients
2 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 c. white chocolate chips
1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 c. almonds, chopped

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to fully incorporate.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars. Add egg and vanilla extract. Mix well. Add flour mixture and continue mixing until just combined.

Fold in chocolate chips and almonds. Form dough into rounded balls about 1 heaping Tbs. in size. Bake for approximately 15 minutes (check after 12 minutes). Cool cookies on the baking sheets. The cookies should be very soft when they are removed from the oven. They will firm up as they cool. Makes approximately 50 cookies.

4 comments:

  1. I made these on a snow day too...funny how watching Food Network can do that. SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look and sound delicious-I love the combination of white and semi-sweet chocolate in cookies-and almonds sound like a wonderful addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to bake on my snow day and lost power :) These look like they would be crowd pleasers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just ran across your blog and want to invite you to stop over and check DessertStalking.com, a new food photo submission site. Hope you will check us out and give us a try! -Donalyn

    ReplyDelete