Sunday, February 21, 2010

Crab Rangoons

I love Chinese food. Unfortunately, many of my favorite dishes are rather unhealthy. So several months ago, I attempted to recreate my favorite Chinese dish - crab rangoons - in order to make them a little more healthy.

To my dismay, the crab rangoons did not taste anything like I would have hoped. The filling was delicious, but baking the rangoons, instead of frying them, left me with a strong desire for something more. More crispy, more crunchy... More like the real deal!

So I have relented. Here are my crab rangoons in all their yummy and greasy glory. Served alongside white rice and a boatload of steamed veggies, I felt slightly less guilty about eating my fair share.


















Ingredients

6 oz. cream cheese, softened
2 oz. sour cream
1 (8 oz.) package imitation crab meat, drained and flaked
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. paprika
2 green onions, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz.) package wonton wrappers
1 1/2 c. canola oil
additional green onion, finely chopped (garnish, optional)

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers and oil. Mix well.

Top one wonton wrapper with 1 heaping tsp. of crab mixture. Moisten edges with water, and cover with a second wonton wrapper.* Press to seal tightly, making sure to remove any excess air bubbles.

Heat canola oil over medium heat. Fry crab rangoons for 3 to 5 minutes until golden brown, flipping once. Remove and place on paper towel-covered plate to drain. Cool slightly before serving.

* Note: I cut my wonton wrappers into circles. Feel free to use the entire rectangular wrapper, or use one and fold over into a triangle shape. It's totally up to you. Additionally, I chose to keep my crab rangoons slightly flatter than normal in order to use less oil.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I love getting crab rangoons in Chinese restaurants but I find that it gets pretty expensive. So I'm happy to now have a recipe for it at home. I'll definitely be making this soon!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rangoons! It'll be fun to try and make them myself at home. Thanks for the recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Word. It's taken me a year and a half, a million recipes and much disappointment to stumble on this website and learn the secret to my greatest desire: authentic tasting Crab Ragoon! There is a little place where I live called Cafe Fuzion and they make the best crab ragoon ever..And I've tried so many times to duplicate the recipe...Sour cream was the missing ingredient! Thank-you, thank-you!
    It's delicious, by the way. Grease never hurt anyone! Right? Right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! i am adding it to my "to try" list.

    check me out at:

    http://annasvirtualkitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete