Sunday, November 1, 2009

Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting

Like nearly everyone else in the blogging world, one of my favorite parts about fall is the pumpkins. It is one of the best flavors out there, and the possibilities for its use in both sweet and savory recipes are endless.

But since my sweet tooth has been acting up lately, I opted for pumpkin cupcakes after I unearthed a can of pure pumpkin puree from my pantry. Luckily, I stumbled across a great recipe at Elyse's Confectionery Creations, which was an SMS recipe. I baked them as a Halloween treat for my co-workers (along with some standard chocolate ones), and everyone really enjoyed them. Then I made some more this weekend to enjoy all by myself.


















However, I must admit I made a slight mistake in the original recipe from Everyday Blessings of the Fivedees. I halved the entire recipe, except for the last ingredient (buttermilk). That's what I get for baking at 9pm at night. Fortunately, the cupcakes still turned out delicious and I'll keep using my messed up recipe.


Ingredients
1/4 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. granuated sugar
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tbs. molasses
1 egg
1/2 c. pumpkin puree
1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
pinch of allspice
scant 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. buttermilk

1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
8 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 1/2 to 2 c. confectioner's sugar

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line one muffin pan (12 cupcakes) with liners. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine brown and white sugars. Using a mixer on low speed, mix together to remove any lumps. Add butter and beat until fluffy (1 to 1 1/2 minutes). Add the molasses and egg; mix to combine. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add pumpkin puree and mix to incorporate.

In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture in three batches, alternating with buttermilk (start and end with flour). Mix well after each addition, but don't overbeat.

Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Tap pans against counter to level out the batter. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely on wire racks before frosting.

To make frosting: In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add cinnamon and up to 2 c. confectioner's sugar until smooth frosting forms (I used 1 1/2 c.). Spread over cooled cupcakes. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Great cupcakes!

    I started this year to bake with pumpkins and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable!! i agree - the cinnamon/pumpkin combo is irresistible! :)

    love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I love how you can see the flecks of cinnamon in the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute!I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete