Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Watermelon Arugula Salad

I love going to the beach. It's that simple. Love the sun, the sand, the waves. Love to sprawl out on a blanket and enjoy a good, mindless summer read. Sandra Brown comes to mind; perhaps Janet Evanovich. Or even a gossip magazine or two.
















Lucky for me, I live in a state surrounded by some of the biggest freshwater lakes in the world, with miles and miles of coastline to discover. Since I currently live in southeastern Michigan, Lake Huron is the most easily accessible to us. Not *quite* as nice as Lake Michigan in my opinion, but pretty great all the same. Here's me and my sister doing one of our favorite beach pastimes... Looking for petoskey stones (Michigan's state stone, cute little buggers).


After a day at the beach, I can't be bothered by steamy, time-consuming meals that involve either the stove or oven. So why not a salad? I found this salad in two, yes two, separate magazines on the exact same day. I took it as a sign that I needed to make it right away.

















Disappointed I was not. The salad had a nice balance of tart (arugula) and sweet (watermelon). It was a snap to throw together, and was punched with flavor. A perfect light meal to end a relaxing day.


Ingredients
Watermelon, cubed
Arugula
Goat cheese
Walnuts, chopped

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs. honey
1/4 tsp. poppy seeds
salt + pepper to taste

Directions
Arrange salads on two plates. Whisk together vinaigrette ingredients in a small bowl until incorporated. Drizzle over salads right before serving. Enjoy! (serves two).

1 comment:

  1. It looks great and refreshing! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete