Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs


















Next to Thanksgiving, the Fourth of July is my favorite holiday. Not sure why... Maybe it's the warm weather, the good food, the magical fireworks, or (this year) our newly broken in badminton set. Why is that game just so fun?!?



















This year's Fourth was no exception to the rule. My family convened for a combination graduation party + Fourth of July festivities, with plenty of good food to go around. Wanna see?


Yummy chicken kabobs, ready to hit the grill (recipe below).


















Delicious fruit tray, courtesy of my grandma.



















Cool veggie pizza (great way to use up little bits of leftover vegetables, btw...)



















And my fav of the day... sundried tomato pasta salad (Dad is pretending to chow below).



















So... those chicken kabobs. Specifically, Hawaiian chicken kabobs. I've made these several times before, and they are always a hit (I think they were originally from AllRecipes.com). I mean, what can be better than pineapple paired with colorful sweet peppers and red onion, then grilled to perfection? Few things, I tell you.


Hope your Fourth was as fun as mine. Heading back to work was tough (I knew I should have taken Monday off), so grill up these kabobs to help slog through the rest of the week!

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks.
3 Tbs. soy sauce
3 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. cooking sherry
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks, 2 Tbs. juice reserved
colored peppers and red onion, cut in large chunks

Directions
In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, olive oil, ginger, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and pineapple juice. Whisk to incorporate. Pour into a large Ziploc bag and add chicken chunks. Shake to coat completely. Cover and marinate for at least two hours.

Preheat grill to medium heat, and lightly oil grill grates. Alternately thread chicken, pineapple, and vegetables onto skewers (if using wood skewers, be sure to soak them at least 1/2 hour before assembling kabobs). Grill for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is done, turning occasionally.




3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of these skewers and the combo with pineapple. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great spread. The picture of your Dad is a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo excited, I'm making these kabobs tonight! In fact, the chicken is marinating as I type. Thanks for the recipe, if I followed directions carefully I should be eatin' good tonight!

    ReplyDelete