Friday, July 3, 2009

Chinese Fried Rice

After several hours of food preparation and cleaning up a kitchen that looked as though a tornado whipped through it, I am finally relaxing tonight. Watching Rambo... yeah, don't ask. Anyway, I've done as much as I can tonight to prepare tomorrow's graduation party eats. I'll be posting a few of the recipes here in the next few days, so stay tuned.

On another note, I want to share one of our favorite recipes with you that I made earlier this week. So one of my favorite things to do is try to re-create food I've eaten in restaurants. So when I came across a recipe for Chinese fried rice, I knew I wanted to give it a try. Going out for Chinese is a guilty pleasure of mine (but really, who isn't it a guilty pleasure for, lol). Probably some of the unhealthiest food out there today, but it just tastes sooo good. It doesn't help that most Chinese restaurants are also buffets, so you feel obligated to down several plates in order to get your money's worth.
















Making fried rice does take a little advanced planning, since you need to work with cold, pre-cooked rice. From what I've read, using freshly made rice results in a sticky, gooey mess. I don't speak from experience, but I'll just take their word for it. It's a good way to use up leftover rice, but sometimes I just make up a couple cups of rice just so I can make fried rice. I also vary the amount of vegetables I put in, depending on what I've got in the refrigerator.

One variation to fried rice that I'm dying to try is Thai pineapple fried rice from Closet Cooking, which was posted a few weeks ago. It looks lovely and colorful, full of all my favorite ingredients. Hopefully I can make it soon!

Ingredients
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs. butter
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 c. cooked peas
2 c. cooked rice, cold
2 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper

Directions
Melt butter over medium-low heat, add egg and cook 1 to 2 minutes without flipping. Remove from pan and shred.

Heat oil in same skillet. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until tender. Add rice, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir-fry about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add shredded egg and peas, stirring to incorporate. Serve hot.


No comments:

Post a Comment