Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Blueberry Pancakes

Breakfast is pretty much my favorite meal of the day. Due to the hectic-ness of the work week, I only have time for cold cereal and a muffin if I'm lucky. However, I always always always find time for a great breakfast meal on the weekends.


















Taking this love affair one step further, what could be better than making your favorite breakfast foods... for dinner? Really, not too much in my book. Since the blueberry season is in full swing here in Michigan, I went out picking with my two sisters this past weekend. Not only is "u-pick" blueberry picking fun, it's also much more economical than buying them a pint at a time at the grocery store and a great opportunity to catch up on family gossip.

Can you see where I'm going here? Tonight, Gabe and I made the works for our breakfast at dinner feast. Sausage, bacon, orange juice, and - the star of the evening - blueberry pancakes.

I used to say that boxed pancake mix was just as good as homemade (gasp!), but I stand corrected. Majorly corrected. Once I found this recipe, I knew I'd never go back. This homemade pancake recipe is based on a Marion Cunningham recipe I found online. It produces luscious pancakes that are slightly browned and crispy on the outside, light and airy on the inside. And with the addition of blueberries, you just can't go wrong.



















Ingredients
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. white sugar
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 c. buttermilk
2 large eggs
3 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 c. (ish) fresh blueberries

Directions
In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter. Whisk until thoroughly combined. In another bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir carefully until just combined.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once pan is warmed, grease with cooking spray and ladle on some of the batter (make whatever size you like). Dot with some blueberries. Wait until batter starts forming bubbles and bottom side is cooked to a golden color. Flip and continue cooking until other side is browned and pancake is cooked through. Place in heated 200 degree oven to keep warm until all are cooked. Enjoy! Makes about 6-8 smaller sized pancakes.



2 comments:

  1. I have been making quite a few stacks of blueberry pancakes this summer along with raspberry and chocolate chip ones too.

    I think the key to a good pancake is the buttermilk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want yummy yummy pancakes now. Maybe that's what we'll have for dinner. Breakfast for dinner. There's nothing better.

    ReplyDelete