Sunday, June 28, 2009

Sugar Cookie Bars

Last week, my younger sister Dana finished up her month long trip to Australia. After a brief stint in Los Angeles to visit with her fiance, she's back in Michigan with memories of a fabulous trip that she'll never forget and the pictures to prove it.

So yesterday I headed up north to hang out with her and my other younger sister. She told (and showed) us all the highlights of the trip, which looked amazing. She also showed us some of the mementos she bought during the trip, including a didgeridoo (an Aboriginal instrument about 5 feet long - try explaining that in customs...) and an authentic boomerang. Here's the three of us girls and our brother Calvin attempting to properly throw it, with decidedly mixed results (I'm in the blue). I may look like I know what I'm doing but I'll tell you, I'm a girl and I definitely throw like one too.
















Additionally, I decided to make and bring up some sugar cookie bars that I found on the Stylish Cuisine blog. I heart sugar cookies, and was happy that baking them in this manner was much less work... a good thing since I started making them well after 10pm on Friday night. As for the frosting, I just went with good 'ole canned vanilla frosting (1 1/2 cans). With a nice dose of colorful non-pareils, you can't get much more festive.



















On another note, I'll be headed back up north next Saturday for Dana's mini-graduation + 4th of July combination party. I'm in charge of food for about 15 people. I'm thinking chicken kabobs on the grill for the main course. I would love some suggestions from you regarding side dishes... What are your ideas for tasty summer time side dishes, to be eaten outside picnic-style?


Ingredients
1 c. (two sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 c. white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
5 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 cans vanilla frosting
Sprinkles of choice (optional but cute)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a large, rimmed baking sheet (jelly-roll pan). Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda and whisk to incorporate. Add dry ingredients to wet ones and stir until just combined. Spread dough evenly across the entire baking sheet (I had to flour my hands and a spatula to achieve this).

Bake for approximately 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely before frosting and adding sprinkles.

6 comments:

  1. These bars looks so tasty! I love anything with sprinkles. As for the picnic, if you make kabobs I definitely recommend putting some chunks of pineapple on them. I love grilled pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made these bars before and we loved them, yours look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the bars! Try pasta salad for your picnic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those look really good and simple!! I can see making these for the 4th and using Patriotic sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look incredible! I'm definitely going to have to try them out--they'd be really cute with some 4th of July sprinkles on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look really yummy, want to try them some time!

    ReplyDelete