Sunday, June 14, 2009

Chocolate Muffins

So I've been noticeably absent from blogging the last week or so (okay, who am I kidding... not noticeably absent to anyone in particular, but absent nonetheless), and I've also been noticeably absent from my kitchen too. Work has been pretty busy in that time. On a normal day, I usually don't get home until after 6pm and, when working late, it's obviously much later than that. And those days I did get home at a reasonable time, I still found myself doing work stuff. So that didn't leave much time (or energy) to create something yummy. PBJ anyone?

Anyway, enough of that. The project that I've been working on is about to launch, so a breather is in order. We enjoyed a great weekend at home. I had to finish up some things yesterday with earlier said project, and today was a beautiful day to sit by the pool and relax. So that's what we did.


















So to celebrate finding my way back into the kitchen, I made these fabulous chocolate chocolate muffins. Again, who am I kidding.... they are totally like cupcakes but I'm sticking to my guns and calling them muffins so I don't feel guilty about eating one for breakfast tomorrow morning. Anyone really know what the difference is between a chocolate cupcake and a chocolate muffin?

I found this recipe over at Joy the Baker website a few months ago. The original recipe called for mini muffins, but unfortunately I don't yet have a mini muffin pan. So I adapted them to full-size muffin status. And besides, anything with chocolate deserves to be upgraded to full-sized status. None of this mini business for us when it comes to chocolate-y goodness.

Ingredients
2 c. all-purpose flour
2/3 c. white sugar
4 Tbs. cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. (scant) milk
2 Tbs. canola oil
2 egg whites
1 c. dark chocolate chunks

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Grease or line a regular-sized muffin pan. Set aside.

Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl. Whisk to fully incorporate. In another large bowl, combine wet ingredients. Whisk to combine, being sure to remove all lumps. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to incorporate. Fold in chocolate chunks.

Scoop the muffin batter into the muffin pan. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Made 14 muffins (could have and should have gotten them to fit in 12 though).

6 comments:

  1. These sounds delicious. When ever I eat a muffin I know it is pretty much a cupcake without the frosting, but I still call it a muffin to make myself feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate for breakfast? yes PLEASE!!! great muffin recipe!!! Id love one of these with some peanut butter smothered on it warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm.... peanut butter.

    These look delicious Rita! What sort of topping (like a struesel maybe?) would you put on them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left the top plain and they tasted good, but the peanut butter idea sounds fab to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! I would totally call them muffins too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chocolate sour cream muffins sound good! I like the chocolate chunks in them.

    ReplyDelete