Monday, June 22, 2009

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Do you ever get really ambitious relatively late at night, only to be thwarted at your every attempt at productivity? That seemed to happen to me last night, as I set out to make these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cookies. I've been eying several of Joy the Baker's recipes (with accompanying awesome pictures... instant tummy growl every time I even think about that website) for months now, but have not ever had the chance to pick one out to actually make.


















Finally yesterday, I ended up choosing this one. I had planned on making them earlier in the day, but had to wait until the butter warmed to room temperature. Then with a half hour of cooking time left on my taco stuffed shells, I thought I could whip up this cookie dough in no time flat. Unwrap the butter, beat in for two minutes, add the peanut butter. Peanut butter? ... peanut butter. Awwwwww, crap. I only had a quarter of what I needed, with no real substitutes in sight. And I had only been to the grocery store a few hours earlier. Ergh!


By this time, it was close to 10pm and I was about ready to throw in the towel. I'm sure I could have left them until the next day, but I didn't want to wait that long. I mean, these are peanut butter chocolate chip cookies from Joy the Baker herself. They had to be worth it, right? So I ran back to the store, grabbed some PB (thankfully, on sale) and finished out the recipe.

I am glad I did, because these cookies are every bit as amazing as they look on Joy's website. Because my oven can't settle on one temperature, let alone the right one, I have a good mix of soft/chewy and crunchy cookies. I prefer the former, but honestly, the latter tastes pretty darn good too. Oh, and the dough itself is quite addicting too. So how can you go wrong? So whether it's 9am or 9pm, you won't regret making these cookies... Just make sure you have all the ingredients first! :-)
















BTW... My next endeavor from Joy the Baker: Peanut butter and chocolate fudge rice krispies treats, found here. There are no words. No words.

Ingredients
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 c. peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1 c. packed light brown sugar
3/4 c. white sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
additional white sugar for rolling

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Position racks into thirds. Grease large cookie sheets with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Stir to incorporate. Set aside.

In another large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for about two minutes, until smooth and creamy. Add peanut butter and beat for an additional minute. Add light brown and white sugar and beat for an additional three minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating for one minute after each addition. Add the dry ingredients and mix only until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. The dough will be soft and pliable.

Pour sugar for coating in a small bowl. Form dough into 1-Tbs. portions and roll into a ball. Roll dough balls in white sugar and place on baking sheets. Dip the tines of a fork in the sugar and press a criss-cross into the top of each cookie.

Bake for about 10 minutes, rotating sheets half way through the cooking time. When done, the cookies will be lightly colored and slightly soft. Let cool on baking sheets for a minute before transferring to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight container. Makes about five dozen cookies.

2 comments:

  1. yummy. good job! love pb+choco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! What a great photo!

    ReplyDelete