Saturday, May 30, 2009

Grilled Shrimp on the Barbie

At one point in my life, I became dangerously close to never eating shrimp again. Food poisoning can do that to a person... have you ever had it? If you have, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't... well, consider yourself lucky.

Since this is a preface to a shrimp recipe, I won't get into the gory details about my less-than-appetizing experience. You know, because I want you make this recipe. You need to make this recipe. However I will tell you this: Take special care to ensure that any seafood you make is properly cooked. Or risk the consequences.

Okay, onto more pleasant thoughts. So if there were any recipe that could change my mind about eating shrimp, it's this one. First of all, it's terribly simple. Second, it just tastes so durned good. I'm slightly embarrassed at the amount of shrimp Gabe and I put away the night we made this for dinner.



















I saw this recipe over at This is Reverb, and knew I had to try it... especially since the days are getting pleasantly warmer and we find ourselves grilling at least two or three times per week. You can only make hamburgers so many times in a week, you know? Although... Gabe would beg to differ, seeing as grilled hamburgers rank as one of his favorite meals. But me, I need variety. It is the spice of life, you know. But I digress.

We ate the shrimp straight off the skewers, but I think they would taste really great in a simple salad too. Oh, and the best part about the recipe is the fact that the leftovers taste even better the next day, if that were even possible. Just whip yourself up some cocktail sauce and eat them cold, straight out of the fridge. Bon appetit!

















Ingredients

2 lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 (16 oz.) jar Italian dressing
Old Bay seasoning
2 Tbs. butter, melted
2 Tbs. lemon juice

Directions
Place shrimp in large bowl. Pour Italian dressing over shrimp and shake to coat. Cover and refrigerate about 2-4 hours (we did about 4 hours or so).

Preheat outdoor grill. Meanwhile, skewer the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers. We used metal skewers; however, if you do choose to use wooden ones, make sure to soak them in water first. Pierce each piece of shrimp on the skewer twice to ensure they don't fall off. Sprinkle shrimp liberally with Old Bay seasoning to your preference.

Toss shrimp onto hot grill and cook about 2 minutes per side, until shrimp is nice and pink. Brush shrimp with mixture of melted butter and lemon juice near the end of the cooking time. Remove from grill, cool slightly, and enjoy!

Note: To make cocktail sauce the next day for any leftovers you might have: Mix together ketchup and horseradish. I don't really have any measurements for you, but know that (obviously) the more horseradish you add, the more spicy the cocktail sauce. Start with a little bit, taste, and add more according to your preference. And then invite me over and I will help you finish them off :)


4 comments:

  1. Oh, I adore shrimp! I'm so sorry that you had an unappetizing (to say the least) experience with them, but I'm super happy to hear that you can once again eat shrimp. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a couple of bad experiences with some of my favorite food, but that only strengthens your relationship with it, right? LOL Great shrimp recipe. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those grilled shrimp look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to be able to eat shrimp. Those were better days.

    ReplyDelete