Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies

Lucky for me, we have a TV in our lunchroom at work. And lucky for me, there's a few girls there who love to cook and bake as much as I do. So we flip on the Food Network and catch Paula Deen and Giada De Laurentiis while we eat lunch and discuss what we're making for dinner for the rest of the week and what we plan on making the next week, and the next, and the next.

Although we love to pick on her (doesn't she just seem a little... too... perfect?), Giada's recipes are the ones that we're always making. She's pretty predictable every day.... Did you notice that pretty much every episode includes some combination of the 4 P's: Pasta, Parmesan, Prosciutto, and/or Pancetta? At any rate, her recipes are often very delicious, and I'm glad I get the opportunity to watch. It seems like the Food Network's weekend lineup centers more on those crazy competitions now, which aren't nearly as interesting to me.

One other ingredient that surfaces on Giada's show somewhat often is mascarpone cheese. I recently purchased some of this cheese to try it out, and after using half of a container on my stuffed shells, I needed to use up the rest. After digging around for a while, I came across a great recipe for chocolate mascarpone brownies that has been blogged about several times (I found via Tender Crumb). These are just the way I like my brownies: thick, fudgy, and uber-chocolately. So I just knew I had to make them.
















And wow, am I ever so glad I did. These taste ah-mahzing (just like everyone else who made them has said). I think Gabe agrees too. He started hovering around the oven about 15 minutes into baking these tasty little suckers, and I was slicing them up for him almost as soon as they came out of the oven. Too bad I didn't get a picture of that!

p.s. The original recipe calls for a ganache to top the brownies. I didn't have whipping cream, and I don't think I could have held Gabe off any longer, so I bypassed this step. However, I will still post the ingredients in case you'd like to include it.

Ingredients
1 c. unsalted butter
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. mascarpone cheese, softened
3 large eggs, room temperature

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt

6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 Tbs. whipping cream
3 Tbs. unsalted butter

Directions
Preheat oven to 325° F. Butter an 8” by 8” square glass cake pan. Set aside.

Place chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring butter to just below boiling. Pour hot butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Sift in sugar and cocoa powder.

With a wooden spoon, beat in the mascarpone cheese, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in flour and salt.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Place in preheated oven and bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Place pan on cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes, while you make ganache.

To make ganache, place chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream and butter to just below boiling. Pour hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Spread immediately over brownies (cooler ganache will be much harder to spread). Let brownies cool completely (on counter or in refrigerator) before slicing.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaa I saw these on Tender Crumb as well and bookmarked them immediately! I'm glad they worked out well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I thought I got these brownies out of my system (and out of the kitchen), I see your gorgeous squares. I'm glad you enjoyed them...i think i'm making these again this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking for mascarpone recently also for a Giada recipe - it's so tough to find! But yum! These look good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOw! I can just imagine how rich these are!!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm I've got some mascarpone in the fridge right now... These might be in my future. Thanks for posting the recipe! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. These brownies look just so good!

    ReplyDelete