Monday, May 18, 2009

Caramelized Onion and Gruyere Quiche

On Friday, I woke up with an inkling. An inkling to be adventurous, make something new and something somewhat fancy. Something gourmet-y. Ha. You know, sometimes you feel like comfort food (like burger and fries) and other times you just feel like putting in a little more effort for something with a little bit more pizzazz.

Earlier in the week, I had run across a recipe at Pink Bites for caramelized onion and Gruyere quiche. In addition to having a fancy name, it seemed to have some fancy ingredients in it too... and by fancy I do mean e.x.p.e.n.s.i.v.e. Wow, $20 per pound for Gruyere? Whew! Luckily, my local grocery store had some on special (extra bonus since I was planning on buying it full price anyway), and I didn't need a lot of it, so it seemed the perfect opportunity to try out Rita's recipe.



















I think the hardest part about the recipe was that it was slightly time-consuming. Okay for a weekend meal, not okay for a weeknight. We were getting pretty hungry by the time the quiche went into the oven, and I even skipped a few steps. Luckily, the wait was worth it. I love love love onions, and caramelizing them only deepens and intensifies the flavor, and it paired well with the nutty Gruyere and thyme. The only thing I might do differently next time is reduce the amount of cheese and add more eggs, I felt the egg flavor was slightly overpowered by the Gruyere. Overall, it was fun to make and had great presentation. I'm looking forward to trying out some other quiche recipes in the near future, too!

Ingredients
1 pie crust for 9-in pie, chilled
2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 large onion, thinly sliced (I used 1 medium red and 1 medium yellow onion)
3 eggs
3/4 cup of milk
1 c. shredded Gruyere cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 375° F.

On a floured surface, roll out pie dough and place in a 9-inch pie pan. Trim edges around the pie plate, leaving about a 1/2 inch border. Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork. Cover pie plate with foil and top with dried beans. Bake until golden, about 30 minutes (removing beans and foil after 20 minutes). Set aside to cool.


Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and thyme, cooking slowly until onions are browned, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, set aside.

Lightly beat the eggs with the milk and season with salt and pepper.

Spread half of the cheese in the pie pan. Add onions and cover with the remaining cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over the top. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden brown and puffed. Let cool slightly before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Any dish with cheese or carmelized onions makes my mouth water. Wonderful images here too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my kind of heaven.
    nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that looks amazing....caramelized onions and gruyere together?? inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quiche looks amazing!! Caramelized onions make everything special, and well, gruyere is just amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try this recipe out! I love your blog; so glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks great! I love caramelized onions, I have only made miniature quiche so may have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing flavour combo for a quiche!

    ReplyDelete