Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hummus at Home

My short list of all things that are lame, for the week of April 19:
1. Weather that fluctuates from 30 degrees to 80 degrees in the course of a few days.
2. Getting sick because of said fluctuations.
3. Being sick on my birthday because of said fluctuations. Boooooo.

My short list of all things unlame, for the week of April 19:
1. Gorgeous day for a wedding last Saturday, gorgeous day for a wedding this Saturday.
2. Seeing the family this weekend at said latter wedding.
3. Getting to take photos at said latter wedding... LOVE taking wedding photos. So romantic!

One other unlame aspect of today was that I was able to whip up some hummus for dinner tonight. Luckily, I had it in me to pretty much make dinner last night after my weekly grocery shopping excursion, because I was not really feeling up to it after work today. But knowing that I had made some curry lentil soup, it seemed only fitting to muster up the energy to blend up the short list of ingredients.

















Can you believe that I only tried hummus for the first time about two months ago? Talk about missing out! It's so good and so versatile, good on anything from bread to raw veggies to sandwiches. And so easy to make at home. Try it! My recipe comes by way of Pink Bites. Check out her blog, she's got some great recipes. And her name is Rita too, so you know she has to be awesome. :-)

Ingredients
1 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. tahini (sesame paste)
1/4 c. lemon juice
olive oil for garnish
paprika for garnish

Directions
Drain and rinse chickpeas. Using your fingers, gently rub chickpeas to loosen and remove their skins (as many as possible). Transfer to a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until chickpeas are soft. Drain, reserving about 1/2 c. of cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine tahini, lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder. Pulse until blended. Add chickpas and process until smooth, adding cooking water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Transfer to a small serving bowl. Swirl top with knife and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.

4 comments:

  1. I had my very first taste of hummus last night. Loved it. Wanted a recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, yum, yum! i love how something so delicious is so simple to make. aren't you glad you discovered hummus? i felt the same way when i first tried it years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! Thank you I am now using this recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks delicious!I love it! Very creative!That's actually really cool.
    謝謝你的文章分享,請你有空到我

    參觀,Thanks

    ReplyDelete